Thursday, July 7, 2011

Sewing!!!

Okay, I know it's been AGES and I have lots of scrappin/stampin projects that I've done and need to blog about, but I am so impressed with myself that I had to do this one NOW!
So two days ago my husband brought home a sewing machine for me (borrowed, one of his work friends picked it up for me and gave it to him) to teach myself how to use.  I've wanted to do this for a few weeks for a few reasons.
1) I've been blog surfing and found quite a few blogs of ladies who make their daughters cute little dresses, and bibs, and bags, and pretty much anything that's made of fabric!  and the catch - a lot of them give tutorials and patterns!!
2) After looking for quite a while for cute sheets for the baby's crib, I've decided that I want to use a fabric I found at Ikea - where we got the crib - and make some fitted sheets.  The internet gods must approve of this because they've provided me with LOADS of tutorials for that as well.
So today, I finally got the machine out and figured out how to thread it etc (a bit tricky with the user's manual in French) but I got it!  And after one test piece, to see what all the knobs and switches actually do, I made this:

 (Can you tell I'm a bit excited about it?)

AWESOME (but yes, simple) HEADBAND out of one of my comfiest pairs of sweatpants (so comfy they were getting holes in them!)  Anyway I got the idea from Jess @ Craftiness is Not Optional and her tutorial for Baby Headbands!  I was going to start with a little one, but when you're learning how to work something, it's nice to have extra fabric to hold onto.  My plan is to make baby headbands (and toddler headbands, and preschooler headbands, etc. etc.) once I get some experience and some better cuter fabric.

I CAN SEW!!!

1 comment:

  1. WAhoo! Love it!!! I've always wanted to learn to sew, good for you!!!!

    ReplyDelete